Bonfire Night grub is traditionally all about the hotdogs, burgers, chips or hog roast baps with apple sauce. But as always, here at Duronic we wanted to try something quite different to shake things up and inspire you to try something new this year.
This Guy Fawkes night have a go at making our Bonfire Waffles. They are chocolately and marshmallowy deliciousness; the perfect treat for snuggling up with a hot chocolate to watch the night skies exploding with fireworks. They are a unique take on the traditional American S'mores but in our opinion they are even better! Our Bonfire Waffles hit all the sweet spots and will go down well with a crowd too.
- 150g plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 200ml whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- Marshmallow Fluff spread
- Toppings: chocolate syrup, chopped hazelnuts or anything else that takes your fancy!
1. Put the flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar and baking powder into a large bowl. Mix together to combine the dry ingredients.
2. In a jug add the milk, the eggs and vegetable oil. Using a fork, mix together the wet ingredients until combined.
3. Gradually add the wet ingredients from the jug to the mixing bowl, whisking the mixture until its smooth.
Tip: you can make the waffle batter up to 2 hrs before and leave at room temperature, or make up to 4 hrs ahead and chill in the fridge until you are ready to use it. If you've made the mixture ahead of time, be sure to give it a quick whisk before using it.
4. Preheat the waffle maker.
5. Pour in the batter to fill up the bottom waffle plates.
6. Close the waffle maker and cook for 3 mins, or longer if necessary.
7. Once cooked, repeat the process with the remaining batter.
Of course you can just eat these delicious chocolate waffles as they are... however, if you want to make them into our special bonfire-style waffles, you need to serve them like sandwiches!
To do this, spread marshmallow fluff on one waffle, spread Nutella on another waffle. Press both waffles together like a sandwich. Place the waffle sandwich onto a plate, drizzle with chocolate syrup, top with toasted hazelnuts and serve.