To celebrate Watermelon Day, we've come up with two deliciously thirst-quenching drinks:
watermelon spritzer and watermelon margarita.
They are super easy to make and, trust us, once you've tasted them, you'll be want to make them more in batches, especially on hot days!
- 700ml strained watermelon juice
- 350ml sparkling water
- Zest from one small lime
- 1 large bunch mint leaves
1. Cut a small watermelon into cubes and use a blender to blend the cubes into a smooth puree. Pour the watermelon puree through a fine-mesh strainer and into a jug.
Alternatively, you could put the watermelon cubes into an electrical fruit juicer like our JE7C which would automatically puree and strain it simultaneously.
3. Add 700ml of the watermelon juice to a large jug, add the sparkling water and lime zest.
4. Take the bunch of mint, remove the leaves from the stalks and gently rub them between your palms to release their oil and aroma.
5. Stir well and serve over ice.
- 500g frozen diced or balled watermelon
- 100ml tequila
- 50ml triple sec
- 4 tsp icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Put all of the ingredients - watermelon, tequila, triple sec, icing sugar and lemon juice - in a blender and blitz until smooth. It will be very thick and slushy but will gradually thin as the watermelon defrosts.
2. Serve immediately by decanting into glasses.
If you want to make it ahead, pour the finished mixture into a 1L bottle, tighten the lid and chill in the fridge for up to 1 day before serving. When ready to serve, thoroughly shake the bottle to mix up the mixture then pour into glasses.
Tip: You can also make the margarita with 500g of fresh, deseeded watermelon flesh, but the cocktail will likely come out frothy rather than slushy in texture. It's still just as tasty though! ;-)