1st february - ice cream for breakfast day
The first Saturday of February is officially called ‘Ice Cream for Breakfast Day’.
It is thought that this occasion was originally created by Florence Rappaport, a housewife from New York who wanted to create a fun day for her children to pass the time and lift their spirits during a blizzard. The tradition caught on around the USA and became celebrated as a fun holiday to brighten the mood on a gloomy February day. It’s a great excuse to indulge and do something out of the ordinary – and today it is now celebrated by ice cream lovers worldwide!
Store-bought ice cream is great, but let’s face it, everything is better when it is homemade.
There are numerous make-at-home ice cream recipes that show you how to make ice cream without a machine, and while this is an attractive prospect, it will not give you the same result as a proper ice cream machine. Using our IM540 ice cream maker, you can make smooth creamy ice cream in just 30 minutes! Impossible you say?! Scroll down to find out how to make an easy and utterly delicious vegan Chocolate and Coconut Milk Ice Cream with the IM540.
🥄 400ml full-fat coconut milk
🥄 55g cocoa powder
🥄 85g honey (or maple syrup, for vegans)
🥄 1 tsp vanilla extract
Crumbled chocolate flakes
Syrups and sauces
Before you begin:
Around 24 hours before wanting to make the ice cream, put the freezer bowl into the freezer and leave to freeze.
Making the ice cream mixture:
1. Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl or in a blender until it is smooth and creamy. Using a blender or electric whisk is better as it helps to get a creamy airy texture.
2. Prepare your IM540 ice cream machine and ensure the lid is on properly.
3. When you are ready to make the ice cream, remove the freezer bowl from the freezer put it into the ice cream machine, close the lid and then switch on.
4. Once the machine is on, you can start to pour your mixture in through the opening on the lid.
5. Leave the machine for around 30 minutes to work its magic; check back frequently and you will see your mixture turn to ice cream before your very eyes!
Scoop a generous serving into a glass or dish. Top with anything that takes your fancy... we chose to use whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
When you've finished with the ice cream bowl, wash it and store it away back in the freezer. This way it is always ready for next time!