14th september - peanut day
To celebrate Peanut Day - quite possibly the nuttiest day of the year - we put together a fabulous no-bake nut bar recipe that will keep tummies full, energy levels high and leave everyone satisfied and asking for more!
This is a great go-to recipe for busy school days for snacking on before or after school, or something quick and easy to take with you on days out.
To make a larger amount just double the recipe and use two baking tins.
- 130g dry roasted salted peanuts (roughly chopped)
- 250g rolled oats
- 250g toasted rice cereal
- 8 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 65g brown sugar
- 8 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
You will need two bowls for this recipe – one large mixing bowl (or a stand mixer with a bowl) for the dry ingredients and a smaller microwaveable bowl for the wet ingredients.
1) Coat an 13"x9” baking tin with cooking spray or lightly grease with butter. If you don't have this size tin, don't worry – just find one that is a similar size.
2) Pour the peanuts, oats and rice cereal into the large mixing bowl.
3) In a separate microwaveable bowl, mix together the peanut butter, brown sugar and honey, then microwave on a high setting for 1-2 minutes or until it starts to bubble.
4) Take the peanut butter mixture out of the microwave and add the vanilla extract. Stir thoroughly until completely mixed through.
5) Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients in the large mixing bowl and mix it until all the ingredients are combined and well coated.
6) Carefully tip the mixture into the baking tin. Using your fingers press the mixture down firmly.
Tip: It may help to use a little cooking spray on your fingers to stop the mixture sticking to you!
7) Set the baking tin aside for around 1 hour to allow the mixture to harden.
8) Once completely hardened, cut into bar shapes and remove from the tin.